On this episode, we interviewed prolific maker and CNC enthusiast Winston Moy. I was particularly excited about this interview. Winston works for Carbide 3D, the creators of the Shapeoko and Nomad CNC machines.
I am a happy Shapeoko XXL owner. It may not be Winston’s fault that I chose the Shapeoko over its competitors, but I did binge watch all of Winston’s YouTube content after ordering my Shapeoko. Winston’s videos were invaluable, and I know I wouldn’t have been as successful cutting my FPV miniquad frames so quickly without his guidance.
I said I would leave a few links in the description. Here’s a link to the 2mm single-flute endmills with the burrs that I’ve been using to cut carbon fiber. I’ve used many cheap 2mm endmills, but I believe these will be my favorite.
I believe I also mentioned this Amana carbon fiber cutting endmill. We haven’t even tried this yet, so I can’t recommend it. I’m leaving it here just in case you were curious.
- 0:00 - Intro
- 1:17 - Winston’s YouTube journey started in 2013
- 2:44 - What is a CNC machine or router?
- 4:07 - Pat should know how to spell G-code
- 6:30 - What’s the difference between a CNC mill and CNC router?
- 7:09 - Pat bought a Shapeoko XXL, but it wasn’t Winston’s fault
- 8:07 - What’s the coolest thing Winston has made with his machines?
- 8:50 - Wood lightsaber handle project
- 9:15 - Winston’s Carbide Camp Knife project
- 12:40 - Mechanical engineering and aerospace degrees
- 16:14 - Working on support equipment for UAVs for the Navy
- 17:08 - Working for large vs. small companies
- 21:10 - How big is Carbide 3D?
- 24:12 - Winston’s design contributions to the Nomad 3
- 25:37 - Jeremy’s dream
- 26:09 - Coffee break!
- 27:50 - Don’t miss Pat making a mess!
- 28:18 - Tell us about the Shapeoko and Nomad CNC machines
- 32:06 - What’s the biggest CNC Winston had access to in the Navy
- 35:04 - What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a Shapeoko or Nomad?
- 37:36 - Why didn’t Jeremy laser cut his laser fume extractor box?!
- 40:13 - Did Jeremy burn out his fancy camera with his laser?!
- 40:50 - Winston made them put more windows and lighting in the new Nomad 3
- 45:08 - Pat learns that bamboo plywood is comparable in quality to Baltic Birch
- 46:36 - Pat is excited about the Shapeoko Pro
- 48:36 - How much do the Shapeoko and Shapeoko Pro cost?
- 49:37 - Jeremy’s Romaxx CNC
- 53:32 - Pat’s dream is a 4x8 foot CNC, and he’d settle for a Maslow CNC
- 58:02 - Just have the robot do it! That’s his job!
- 1:04:00 - What projects is Winston working on?
- 1:07:09 - Jeremy’s PIR motion sensor camera trigger
- 1:07:55 - Pat’s 40-gigabit Infiniband adventure
- 1:12:26 - Where can you find us on the Internet?
- 1:14:22 - Outro
You can find Winston here:
You can find Pat Regan here:
You can find Jeremy Cook here: